Friday, July 24, 2015

TIME FOR THEM AGAIN

I actually heard Dawn Penn's "No No No (You Don't Love Me Anymore)" in my car today, on a regular FM radio station. Hefty surprise that, particularly on a station that usually plays eighties R&B. That was followed by Bob Marley's "One Love", which everybody's heard a million times, but still, promising. Then came UB fucking 40. Click. I could go the rest of my life without hearing UB40 or the English Beat. Turns out that the station is having some sort of "Bob Marley Weekend". I think I'll cut my losses.

I'd never posted the Penn cut, and it's a good one, so, what the hell. I found her later version from 1994, with U Roy sampled all over the place. (The original was recorded at Studio One in 1967.) Looking for another of hers I ran into a DJ special which is sung over the the riddim of Trinity's "Three Piece Suit" and, it being summer, I had to add Althea and Donna's almighty "Uptown Top Ranking" which utilizes the same riddim, and is one of a handful of songs I have no shame in posting again and again. (That's them in the photo above.) To round things out, Rita Marley's "One Draw", which was like the summer stoner jam of the mid-eighties.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Dawn Penn - No, No, No (You Don't Love Me Anymore mp3 at Blink138 (?)
Dawn Peen - Snobb DJ Special mp3 at Dancehall Music (?)
Althea and Donna - Uptown Top Ranking mp3 at Eyeswing
Rita Marley - One Draw mp3 at Passion of the Weiss

No comments: