Wednesday, June 20, 2018

DON'T BE A PEANUT HEAD

Repost alert. It was three years ago that I posted the text snd video below. I revisited the video today and was again mesmerized, That makes it ripe for a repost.

I have reservations about posting some things, because I don't want to seem like I'm making fun of a particular singer or band, no matter how quixotic their musical aspirations are. Unless of course they deserve it. Mike Love deserves it. B.J. the Messenger does not, I don't think he does anyway. Shit, I don't really know about this one. The clip appears to be a public access show, Stairway to Stardom. He performs a song called "Crackhead". But, you'll notice from the image above that he's wearing a ski mask. Yeah, and that's just the start of it. Wait until you see it. His rhymes floor me, almost as much as his posse. His DJ, or whatever the fuck he's supposed to be, is really trying his best to look baddass, though through the glare of his gold chain I detect a button down shirt under a sweater. But "crackhead" is his line, so he says it. And E.J., I think that's that's his name, says it again. Whenever he's told. I seriously don't know what to make of the girl dancer. She definitely adds something to the overall weirdness, but I'n not sure if it's her moves or the stoner-like gaze of hers. Just let this sucker roll, at least until the 1:31 mark, that's when the crazy editing come in. Fucking icing on the cake.

All that said I'm really not here to make fun of B.J. the Messenger. The reason why I wanted to post this is because the whole feel of it is just so damn weird. Like something from a David Lynch movie. Kind of. Before cable, public access channels were the big outlet for, well, quixotic aspirations. And this shit is nothing if not earnest. And weird. Both admirable traits.



Listen:
B.J. the Messenger - Night Freak (streaming) at YouTube Dude got better!

No comments: