Saturday, April 16, 2016

THE COOL SLEEVE DETOUR

I ran into that image above, and had never heard "Blackberry Way". I know little of the Move's work, so I checked it. It was good, actually really good, but something was buggin'. Then I remembered their original version of "Do Ya". So good. More meat than the Electric Light Orchestra's hit version. That must have been it.

Then there's always their original version of "California Man", that Cheap Trick covered to great effect. You see where this is going. I have to wrap this thing up. I have a rabbit hole I have to tend to.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Move - Blackberry Way (outtake) mp3 at Mr. Suave
The Move - Do Ya mp3 at Art Decade
Video:
The Move - California Man at YouTube Jeff Lynne doing his best Jerry Lee.
Cheap Trick - California Man at YouTube

2 comments:

Peter Tibbles said...

Three members of The Move (Roy Wood, Jeff Lynne and Bev Bevan) eventually became Electric Light Orchestra. I guess the others helped to add more punch to the original version.

Tom G. said...

I knew that and I knew someone would mention it, but I was far too lazy last night to go down that road. It would have lead to two versions of ELO, with Wood and without, who was the brains of the operation and who wasn't, Wood's solo stuff... Once I got into that, forget it.

I leave a lot of stuff out here. you've probably noticed. Usually it's lack of time or laziness. And sometimes there are things better learned on the streets. My older friend Steve Lieber told me of the connection when I was a young teen. He worked the counter at Good Karma Records, one of two shops that got me through my early teens. That memory wouldn't be there had I learned of the connection on a blog. Of course, blogs didn't exist back then, but you get the idea.

I've got a thousand excuses. Funny, I'm never too lazy to share them.