Thursday, May 12, 2016

IT'S GETTING TANGLED IN HERE

Here we go again. A check of the latest over at Groove Addict netted a Jamo Thomas song I hadn't heard, which isn't surprising because I've only heard a handful of his songs, notably "(I Spy For the) FBI", That one was covered by the Untouchables back in the eighties or nineties, I forget exactly when. All that later psuedo-ska stuff, second or third wave, whatever it is, is a blur to me, with few exceptions. One exception is the Untouchables' "Mandingo", not as much for the song itself (which is above average for a later ska band), but the lyrics. In short, Mandingo is like the badass of the century. Neat.

So, the Jamo Thomas song just posted was "Must I Holler", a release on Chess. He was on all sorts of labels, Chess being just one of them. Most were lesser known labels, at least one of them a Mom and Pop type operation. Here's the topper. Right after the Jamo Thomas post, Groove Addict posted Luther Ingram and the G-Men's version of "(I Spy For the) FBI". Yeesh. Further digging elsewhere popped up an early cut by the Party Brothers that was produced by Jamo Thomas, who may or may not be the singer on the track. You see where this is going. All over the damn place. Solo from here.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Jamo Thomas - Must I Holler mp3 at Groove Addict
The Untouchables - Mandingo (streaming) at YouTube
Luther Ingram and the G-Men - (I Spy For the) FBI at Groove Addict Go there to get it.
The Party Brothers - Let Me Be the One mp3 at Sir Shamblings Note A few audible beeps are heard to discourage reproduction.
Video:
Jamo Thomas - (I Spy For the) FBI at YouTube
The Untouchables - (I Spy For the) FBI at YouTube

No comments: