Thursday, June 16, 2016

AGAINST ALL ODDS

I have an aversion to the flute. I don't always hate it, but, yeah, I pretty much hate it. Blame Ian Anderson and those weird outfits with tights and shit. Spotty sightings over the years didn;t help. I knew of Herbie Mann by his shirtless LP cover long before I ever heard him. Yeesh. I didn't buy a thing of his until about a year ago. It was a 99 cent bin, what the hell, sorta thing. The first thing on the LP, a cover of Sonny Rollins's "St. Thomas". With my guard already dropped, I had 99 cents on the line after all, I got sucked in. After a few plays I threw up my hands. Mann was in, but on double secret probation. I just realized why I will now tolerate Herbie Mann. His is the music for post-wining and dining loosen the tie bachelor pads, the soundtrack to the dimming of the lights. Not my kinda bachelor pad mind you. I'd more likely be spinning Hasil Adkins. But if it's post-wining and dining, tie loosening, light dimming bachelor pad music, I'll admit it.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Herbie Mann - Not Now, Later On mp3 at Groove Addict
Herbie Mann - Blues In the Closet mp3 at Groove Addict
Much More:
Herbie Mann = 13 LPs, each with a sample song at Groove Addict

No comments: