Sunday, June 26, 2016

TUNING IS A FOUR MAN JOB

Before we get started, I'm switching my computer over to my new digs tomorrow, and I don't expect things to go smoothly. I'm realistic. So I might miss a post or two. Hang in there and just go poking around in the old posts.

When it comes to doo-wop, you don't really have to love or hate it. There's so many different types, you can pick or choose all you want. Even if it's just a handful of songs. "Yakety Yak" might not grab you, but "Down In Mexico" might. Especially if you've seen Quentin Tarantino's Deathproof. That fuckin' guy. I don't mind that he uses songs that I like in his soundtracks. I hate that he uses them so effectively that my associations change, sometimes for the better, and other times for the worse. Even though I've heard it many times, "Down In Mexico" is forever tainted after seeing the scene that features it. I can't tell if Tarantino is trying to sell doo-wop, sex, or his movie. Whatever your feelings are about the scene, "Down In Mexico" will never sound the same. It's effective, but it still kinda pisses me off.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Video:

No comments: