Wednesday, November 30, 2016

TWO AND A HALF DECADES IN THE BANK

The other day I was in a small record store down the street, small meaning limited selection. In other words, they have to sell the shit that sells to stay afloat. Not a whole lot of stuff other than mediocre used old classic rock vinyl, with the new stuff limited to the latest hipster jive. Want the Growlers? Oh yeah, they'll have that shit. Sonny Boy Williamson? Forget it. But it's the closest record store so what are you going to do?

I wasn't browsing for anything in particular when I came across about a half dozen used Jon Spencer Blues Explosion CDs, all different titles, some that I don't have. I went through my normal judicious tightwad thought process. When was the last time I listened to the Spencer stuff I already owned? Okay then, move on, you don't need any more right now. After making small talk with the friend who worked there, I left empty handed.

On the way home I was thinking about poor ol' Jon Spencer. A guy who clearly loves the blues, but interprets it in a different way. With theremin and all types of weird shit. Is he really what an authentic modern blues man should be? Rather than all of the more traditional types, retro types, or even the blues-rock bands? If so, will he end up like his forefathers, playing smaller venues to less appreciative audiences as he gets old and gray? He's clearly not the hot shot he used to be. Six used CDs in one small record store with limited selection tells me that. Would he, if truly a bluesman, trod on regardless of the rewards, because that's what he does? How blues a man is this blues man? Maybe years from now rediscovered, seen as a true torchbearer, playing to rabid European audiences in the midst of another blues revival? What do the coming decades hold for Jon Spencer's blues vision? This is gonna be good.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:

No comments: